Monday, September 25, 2006

Draft

This is open to both my students and anyone else that wants to answer this question.

If there was a draft implemented to cover the shortage of troops both for Iraq and if we move on Iran, as some pundits think we will, would you go? Or would you try to seek asylum? Do you think the draft is a good idea to put more "boots on the ground," which several generals have indicated that we need--especially if we attack Iran.

Do you think women should be drafted as well? If women want equal rights at home, shouldn't this apply to the military draft as well? Or do you think that women should be exempted from the draft? And why?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I think a draft would be a very bad idea; this country is aready torn over the war. A draft would start protests.

Sat Sep 30, 01:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger mariestaad said...

Lauren, thank you for posting (I think you are a student, and if you are--you are the first one to post & thus receive credit--let me know). Would protests be a bad thing? How so?

Sat Sep 30, 04:41:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidently posted this earlier on the wrong blog!!)
~That's a really tough question. No matter what, there will always be opposition to the draft. Therefore the government should use it only as a last resort. Women being drafted is another topic. As a woman, I'm not even sure which side of the debate I'm on. I don't think I could deliberately kill somebody, but if I were drafted I would do my duty and not try to seek assylum. Hopefully, however the government would account for this and try to make positions for women where they were not involved in open combat. I also think that if they do consider re-instating the draft they should not draft college students. This is not only because I am one, but because that would create a generation of uneducated people who could not find a job, when they came home from war(that is if they would make it home).

Sat Sep 30, 11:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger olivebranch said...

If a draft was brought it in the US government would be overthrown in a matter of weeks.

It's one thing to support a war and say all this stuff about how bad another culture is, it's a whole nother thing to actually get off your ass and do something. The moment the war truely impacts the lives of all american's is the same moment it will cease to exist.

"Lassez-Faire" that's the attitude of the US citizens. Unless it URGENTLY needs attention and is effecting their lives negatively; they don't care that much. (few exceptions obviously!)

Thu Oct 05, 07:33:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home