Thursday, October 26, 2006

THE WAR DEAD AND COLLEGE MATH III


1100 Iraqis have died since Oct. 15th. (The official estimate that 100 Iraqis are dying a day--the "official estimate" is usally a low estimate). If these Iraqis were students, this number would

•fill 36 classrooms, which is nearly my entire three storey building.

•would represent nearly 1/3 of the Freshman class

•would be 1 in 11 of every student who attended the last football game.

All of these people died within the last 11 days. They had families, shops and hopes. They were doctors, lawyers, and carpenters. They had dreams and were loved.

96 American soldiers have died this month. This is 26 more than in my last post, on October 18th. If these soldiers were my students

•All my students in my composition class would be casualties.

•All but 8 of my students in my literature class would be casualties: essentially I would have only 8 students left out of all my classes.

•The twenty-six soldiers that died in the last 8 days would represent an entire composition course.

•96 soldiers would fill three classrooms.

They all had families, hobbies and hopes. They were professional soliders, and they were also reservists who had farms, businesses and jobs. They left behind everyone their lives touched, and that could literally be thousands of people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you compare these deaths to something close to college students, like classroom sizes, it makes a huge impact. I know over 1100 deaths are a lot, but when you compare it to CMU, it really sinks in. I can't believe that this many people are dying every day. I can only hope that America and others will wake up and stop this madness.

Mon Oct 30, 01:18:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home