Saturday, November 04, 2006

THE WAR DEAD AND COLLEGE MATH IV

In the month of October, 103 American soliders died, and an unknown about were injured (the ratio has been about 1:10, so we can estimate around 1000 have been injured).
This means, if these soliders were my students, that

•All my students are casualties with the exception of one lucky soul, and the chance that he or she would be injured is very high.

•In a mere thirty days, all four of my classes would be gone.

•This number of students would occupy 26 dormrooms.

In the month of October approximately 2170 Iraqis died (and this is a low estimate). If these Iraqis were students,

•Only 1679 would have been my students during my entire 7.5 year teaching career at this university.

•The other 491 would fill all my classes over the next 2.5 years. In other words, it would take me a decade to teach all of these students.

•The 2170 students would constitute at least 1/2 the freshman class

•This number of students would occupy 543 dormrooms.

The soldiers and Iraqis had hopes, dreams and families. They looked forward to Eid and Thanksgiving and Christmas. They were loved and they loved, and they were all dead in 31 short days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home